While the Naga Hills was under the administrative control of the Govt. of Assam, the Dimapur Police Station was established in the year 1939 located near Old N.S.T Bus station. It is one of the oldest Police Stations in the District and Nagaland, later shifted to new location presently known East PS Dimapur. After attaining statehood on 1st December 1963, the Nagaland Police took over the charge of Dimapur Police Station from Assam Police. The Officer-in-Charge of the Police Station was Sub-Inspector S.B Shyam.
The Post of Sub-Divisional Police Officer, Dimapur was created in the year 1967 with Shri M.B Kar IPS as the first SDPO Dimapur vide Govt. Notification No: DEF/ESSTT/3467, dated 04.06.67 and Late Shri K.K. Angami looked after the temporary charge of Addl. Superintendent of Police, Dimapur under the administrative control of the Superintendent of Police, Kohima. In the year 1982, Dimapur Police District was created and separated from DEF Kohima with Shri Aonochet Ao IPS as the first Addl. Superintendent of Police, Dimapur vide Govt. Notification No. POL-13/DEF/77, dated 18.08.1982.
The full fledged post of Superintendent of Police, Dimapur was created in the year 1983 with Shri S. Akang Jamir IPS taking over the post on 21.01.1983 vide Govt. Notification No. POL-13/DEF/77, dated 18.01.1983.
In the year 2015, the District Executive Force under Superintendent of Police, Dimapur was upgraded to Police Commissionerate, Dimapur and was established vide Notification No: POL/-1/ESTT/13/2014/A, dated 17th December, 2014, inaugurated on 15th April, 2015, by the then Hon'ble Chief Minister of Nagaland, Shri. T.R. Zeliang with Shri Liremo Tsopoe Lotha IPS as the Commissioner of Police.